06 January 2009

An evil plague scourges the land

I don't like bullies. I don't like selfishness. I get angry at both when mostly I can hold my temper over most matters but people who knowingly take advantage of others' weakness and are willing get away with outrageous behavior when they know better raises my ire.

So, the BCS system in college football is, in my view, genuine evil. Yes, I am naive and idealistic and worse things happen in the business world every day but the power brokers in college football knowingly disregard the greater good because they have the power. The BCS officials are arrogant and they lie and unfortunately many buy the party line and swallow the load of feces that these people are selling.

The NCAA is another incredibly offensive group of hypocrites that allows the championship of NCAA football, a sanctioned sport, to be decided by a different group. Why? Money.

But more than just money, these two groups want to protect their friends. They want to keep perks and protect their kingdoms and that of their friends that have been built up over the years in the bowl system. They don't care about the student-athletes, they don't care about supporters of the schools and they don't care about fans. Worst of all, they don't care about doing the right thing.

So, when bowl season rolls around each year I simply cheer for the teams the damage the bowl system the worst. This year there is a bonanza of teams. Things have gone just right to expose the bowl system.

Utah is undefeated.
Texas has one loss.
USC has one loss.
Florida or Oklahoma will have one loss.

Each of these teams has a legitimate claim to the national title which I will not rehash here but the fantastic scenario happened. Not only is the title contest disputed but a "plus one" bowl game wouldn't solve the problem.

The other people that anger me are members of the media who don't speak out against the bowl system. Newspaper writers seem to do a better job of wanting an equitable system than the television reporters. My theory is that reporters on the network must protect their jobs and therefore they defend their network so while I am sympathetic I find it weak when they call for the current system plus a bowl game.

Competitive sports leagues exist to crown a champion that is decided on the field by the participating athletes. Evil people put their own interests above the greater good and will not allow this to happen. I don't use "evil" lightly. Selfishness, greed, and behavior that damages many is, in my estimation, evil.

More seasons that end like this one will eventually force a change. Enough of the right teams, the ones with power to make change, will need to be on the raw end of the stick. I don't cheer for any team, I simply cheer against the BCS.

No comments:

Post a Comment