14 August 2009

A song about an author not being your female dog



My favorite currently writing author is George R.R. Martin. I love his books and preach them a little too fervently sometimes, but I believe in them. Classified as "fantasy" (a term that annoys me because of the baggage it carries) it reads like historical fiction meets the Sopranos.

I admire his writing skills and word smithing as much as anything I read.

He is four books into a seven book series and the last book and the one that is currently overdue is causing quite a stir among the readership. I can't imagine telling an author or a artist that they must produce great stuff on a schedule. (Journalists are different animals.)

Neil Gaiman came to his defense in his now famous blog defense and he told readers that authors are not their "female dogs". (That was for my over-sensitive Mormon audience).

Now a songwriter has put the sentiment to music. It is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment