28 December 2009

Who is that fat guy sitting with my family?


Years ago, I was in shape. I was pretty constantly active. I played basketball a lot and softball and when I had a chance, volleyball and football and anything team oriented with a ball. Oh and I ran a marathon once to see if I could. Go ahead and click on the photo (it gets much bigger) and figure out which one of these young men was healthy me.

Today I had pictures taken with my in-laws' extended family. In fact I took the pictures and used my killer Nikon D1H timer feature to get in some shots as well. It was a little stressful, a little fun and they turned out okay or maybe even better. There are a bunch of remarkably cute kids in the family.

Each smaller family unit also had pictures taken including mine and when I browsed the photos I was shocked to find a fat guy was sitting with my family where I thought I had been sitting!

See, in my mind's eye, I am not what I saw in the photos although I realize I am a little round. My face, that I used to worry was too long and narrow, looks like dough with holes punched in for some eyes. Excuse me while I wallow in vanity, but I looked (look) terrible!

Worse, I am modeling bad eating habits for my children and to top it all off, I am not healthy. So this will become one of the many things I will blog about in this topical buffet that I already call my blog. I need this space to be accountable to and I need reminders in my face often that remind me that I know full well that have a health problem and a discipline problem and really, an eating problem. Coca-Cola is my enemy. I should treat my own body with care, not with disdain and my mouth and taste buds should not be making decisions for my heart, lungs and other organs and muscles.

Incidentally, I know there are people bigger than I am and some might even take offense at my self evaluation but for the record, I don't think they look terrible and their weight doesn't bother me - mine does. Also, my wife has done a great job recently at being consistent with exercise and diet and has shed some pounds so I further need to support her efforts. My friend Jody has shed a lot of weight this year only to put some of it back on so somehow that matters to me and I want to be healthy and I want him to be more healthy and happy with himself.

Tomorrow is a great day to shoot some hoops, run some ladders in a gym and actually burn more calories than I eat. It has to start now.

1 comment:

  1. Larry, I have a similar problem. I think I'm heavier now than I ever have been despite the fact that I worked out every day during the christmas break. I take propecia to preserve my hair which works quite well. Unfortunately it has a side effect of weight gain. I take food to stay happy and stay alive. Unfortunately it has a side effect of weight gain also.
    Russ

    ReplyDelete