26 February 2009

I slept through a revolution


I am sick and sick of being sick but I feel like poo. It has been a few days now and I have slept a lot this week.

Tuesday, I think, while I slept, I missed a revolution.

The newspaper I work for removed a key editor, the guy who dishes out assignments and serves as the central figure on the hub of the newsroom. I can speculate about the reasons but I don't really know them.

I do know the figure removed was well respected, including by me. He knew news, he spoke his mind, he wasn't afraid to disagree and he didn't take differences of opinions personally. He knew writing and editing and didn't see the world and things as they first seemed on the surface but could look a bit deeper and understand the truth behind the sometimes easy answer.

So, when the memo announced that he was being removed and somebody less-known and trusted put in his place, there was a revolt.

Everybody needs a job but nearly ever writer, I believe excepting only those who could not be contacted, took their bylines off their stories for the day. This sounds rather incredible but once you see the edition of the paper that says every non-wire story is written by "staff" you get the idea how much solidarity and dissatisfaction this shows.

I don't believe I have ever seen a newspaper like it. I only learned about the memo and the paper later but it was a rather shocking chain of events and like other tumultuous events - I missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment