10 January 2010

Fictional Frontiers


From time-to-time I am invited on a radio program that airs live in Philly called "Fictional Frontiers." The host is Sohaib, who uses the program to have a serious discussion about popular culture.

Often the discussions are live, which was difficult for me when they were Sunday mornings but recently they moved to Monday afternoons in the City of Brotherly Love, which is great for my schedule. Once I called him from Mexico on a family vacation which was pretty fun actually.

Monday the 11th of January he will air a recorded segment we did almost a month ago where we look back on the impact of Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings," movies had on the world of movies and fantasy. I can't lie, I find the whole radio-guest concept pretty fun. I can't say why exactly but I guess I like to air my views in the same way I like to blog or write for TheOneRing.net.

Since I edit and do other things for a living, having a writing outlet really helps tremendously for the comfort of my soul. I am not sure the radio doesn't do the same thing. I am told once a month, usually on the phone, that I have a great radio voice and should "do" radio for a living. It sounds fun actually but I am confident that in reality such a career might actually pay worse than journalism and would definitely be far less glamorous than it seems at first blush.

Anyway, being slightly self promotional, if you care to listen live Monday you can do so here or here. After about a week or so you can pick up the program on a podcast here where a lot of great past shows are archived, some with me, many more without. It airs live from 5 - 6 p.m. EST.

No comments:

Post a Comment