23 March 2010

How do I teach my children? (NCAA folks scroll down)

Like most parents, I try really hard to teach my children how to be confident enough and smart enough and wise enough to grow up and be great and happy people. That, in a sentence, is what I am trying to do.

Logan, in kindergarten is an affectionate, fun and confident kid. And . . . violent?

Dresden came home from school this week and told me how horrible his substitute teacher was. I tried to be empathetic but all I could gather was that she got mad at him and some others for no reason. Maybe there was a reason or maybe she had plenty of reason but I decided since I didn't know, I would just listen and hope that later he would know that I do listen to him and what he says is important.

Later in the car he told his mother the same story. Little brother Logan also had a substitute teacher and he loves to jump into conversations if he feels that he has something similar to share and often if he doesn't.

Logan: I had a substitute teach too and she had a giant butt!
(Secretly I found this funny but I can't laugh at such comments because then I am enforcing inappropriate things on many levels and this theme goes on.)

Mom: Logan I hope you didn't say that in front of her.

Logan: I didn't

At this point Shannon and I realize that isn't enough of an explanation why such remarks, ney, such observations just aren't okay.

Mom: Logan that could realllllly hurt her feelings. You don't like it when people tease you. How does it make you feel when people tease you?

Logan: I feel good after I punch them in the face

And despite how inappropriate that was, I am still laughing.

1 comment:

  1. Logan, I wish I could punch some people in the face, haha. Alas (*sigh*), that is inappropriate behavior for an adult.
    You have such cute kids! I have been thinking... I am scared to death to have teens. I am excited for them to have a little more independence, but that comes at a huge price from me-- watching like a hawk. SCARED to death!

    ReplyDelete