09 March 2009

I watched "The Watchmen" (part II)



So I read comics and as fortune would have it, I happened upon the great revival of the form during some formative years for both me and creative forces of the industry. I caught the end and transition from one era of comics (commonly called the bronze age) that transitioned into the modern age of comics.

At the risk of losing my non-existent audience, I read the incredible run of Chris Clairmont on the "X-Men," Frank Miller and Klaus Jansen on "Daredevil" and Alan Moore on the "Swamp Thing" as they were published. Nearly everything printed then was superheroes, largely as a result of the U.S. government and some dudes putting pressure on the comic industry to publish sanitized stories. America killed one of its original art forms and three decades later I was lucky enough to be around for the revival.

Those creative fellows, along with lots of others (Neil Gaiman, Dave Sim) shook up comics and helped it diverge from costumed heroes back into fantasy and horror and crime. During this era of me visiting comic stores I picked up the first issue of "Watchmen," and recognized its quality along with a lot of other really good reading material.

The anti-hero was hot in the market, but Alan Moore's and Dave Gibbons' masterpiece deconstructed the superhero and presented them as very flawed characters. I recognized "Watchmen" was remarkable, although I didn't fully understand what it was doing and the long-term greatness of the work. I knew I liked reading it a lot.

Time Magazine later named it one of the 100 great English language novels published between 1923 and today and it grew very popular and very highly praised. However, it is still a funny book to most and so while a lot of people got on board, it was still on the fringe.


For an explanation of how I came to have a comic book store, please see the entry below.
This weekend, "my" "Watchmen" graphic novel that I have treasured for more than 20 years hit the cinema. I watched it adoringly at midnight and then the following afternoon on the IMAX screen. Its opening credits I declare the best ever. It is a film that is flawed, to the point that for some it will be radioactive. It is savage and sexual and it asks a lot of its viewers. It demands careful attention to dialog and even background references.

For me, it translates the graphic novel (no longer called a comic book since its always collected into a single volume instead of 12 issues and its really difficult for the mainstream to call something praiseworthy a 'comic book') into a film that I never imagined I would see. It is done with great (not perfect) fidelity and obvious affection. One of the actors isn't up to snuff and the decision to take the violence and sexuality into in-your-face levels seems distracting for me. It isn't my prudish self complaining but my analytical side that thinks it was over done.

Still, I embrace the film. I love the film. I will love the director's cut more and I will love the DVD edition still more when a story-within-the-story will be added as an animated part of the story. I rejoice that I have watched "The Watchmen," but "my" comic book, beloved since it was published more than 20 years ago has now moved into full on mainstream popular culture. I feel a wee tear in the corner of my eye and a lump in my throat.

Now everybody watches the Watchmen.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more about the violence and sexuality levels. I didn't hate those scenes, per se, but 'distracting' is a perfect way to put it. I really didn't see the point in presenting them as they were in the movie.

    On the other hand, I actually enjoyed the ending of the film (Dr. M's reactors) better than the comic (alien monster). It seemed a little more 'grounded', which is probably a ridiculous thing to say about a movie with such out of this world themes. Anyway - I think you get me point.

    On a side note - enjoying reading these blog posts. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete