24 March 2009

My wife would like to kill me

That isn't just a salacious headline, its completely true. It isn't true all of the time every day but there are instances when it is. I have my moments so I don't blame her all that much but I do want to live so I try to temper my most annoying traits - not easy.

One problem is that I own a lot of books. Moving the Curtis Clan is hellish, often commented on those lending their backs to the cause, because there are boxes and boxes of books. I like books. I love books. I read them and hold them and smell them and cherish them. I like to think they like me too; books might be a little happier on my shelves with other books to keep them company. But, even more than books, I like my wife and at some point its probably me or the books that will need to leave so I try not to bring any extra home because one of us, me or the book, might not make it through the door.


They are a diverse lot, my books. They would make for interesting dinner-party companions if they sat around and talked. Some would be experts on 1840s pioneers crossing the plains in wagons and handcarts while others would have amazing black and white photos to display while a good many would tell fantastic tales of heroism, adventure, despair and beauty.

One of the temples of the book, not only in Utah but in all of the nation, is changing. It is a printed-word mecca called Sam Weller's Zion Bookstore and it is moving. It is an independent bookstore which are few and far between these days. It is 80 years old and has a gigantic collection of used books and because of its publishing contacts and used book networks, if you want a book they can probably get it for you.

Should you care to, you can read the 80-year history of the place right here. It seems unlikely the the store will ever be the same and even more unlikely that anything like it will ever develop again. I have spent a few great days in the store, browsing shelves and picking up books old and new, large and small that I want to take home with me. I am like a cat lady with printed volumes.

The building they are leaving is stuffed with books on three levels with small side rooms and winding isles. It has a post decorated with disco-ball mirrors. It has copies of National Geographic that go back about as far as National Geographic does. It has a fun collection of comics and photo books and archeology books, occult books and Mormon books, law books and biographies and so on and so forth.

If you haven't walked around in the basement, or the balcony browsing for fun, then you better hurry.

My poor wife tolerates the fact that not only have I filled all the shelves I have with books, but I have filled a good chunk of our storage room with boxes of other books. Why own books that are put away in boxes? I don't know, but I sure like them. So today when I took a stroll around Weller's I found many a lonely tomb that needed a good home, but I left them where they sat, ignoring the 25 percent discount.

I need a home as well.

2 comments:

  1. We have two bedrooms made into one large room that would one day make a fantastic movie room but that can't be done until all the boxes that make it hard to walk around get removed...which would mean removing books from the boxes and finding a new home for them. Now, I'm not opposed to you putting up more shelves in the storage room to put your books, which, btw, they would fit easier if they were removed from the boxes and stacked nicely on a shelf, but they are your books and I will not move them anymore. I am more than happy to start tearing up carpet and tearing down walls to build our movie room but when it comes to the books, that is completely your responsibility! I do have to point out to readers that it isn't just books that Larry collects. You people should see the two closets FULL of Daredevil and Lord of the Rings collectibles. Really, do we have to save the Burger King LOTR toys??? Love you, Larry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, nobody reads these comments or the blog, but now we can both fire words into Webspace.

    ReplyDelete