22 December 2009

3D vs 3D in Avatar


I have seen "Avatar" twice now. Once on Thursday at midnight with my pal Jody - who is a fine man, not a fine female.

I left work a tad early so I could make the show that night and I picked a theater near Jody's house and I was a couple of minutes late for the film. We rushed in a bit scattered, grabbed glasses and sat down to watch the three-hour epic unfold.

I had fun at the cinema. But I think my mind was too focused on the technical aspects of the film and I was watching it through critical lenses. (Not to be confused with me being critical of the lenses - that is coming up. I just mean my brain's own critical lenses.)

The second time I saw it at Jordan Commons, which had completely different 3D glasses, I was startled to discover the viewing experience was significantly better. The first pair of glasses wrapped around my head somewhat with curved lenses while the second pair had big flat lenses held out in front of my eyeballs.

The second viewing was vastly superior and I managed to turn off my critical mind more and enjoy the film. I already liked it and I already marveled at it but the second experience was greater!

I am tempted to write about some of the technical marvels in the film but there are others better qualified to do so ((here is one from last year)) and my blog is already topically scattered before I turn in a film special-effects commentary, but suffice it to say James Cameron and my friends at Weta Digital and ILM pushed the edges of what was possible and managed to be spectacular while they did it. Here is a "60 Minutes," segment about it, with some small factual errors from the narrator but is a great video for the average viewer to get what is going on.

Oh and the film is likely the first of a trilogy.

Sensitive viewers will want to know there is some language and a intimate scene between two 12-foot-tall blue people and it is violent but bloodless.

No comments:

Post a Comment