16 December 2009

A good seasonal laugh

For one the very few times in my whole life, I can't sleep. I blame tile, J.R.R. Tolkien, Guillermo del Toro and the Deseret News.

But, since I am awake, I have a little chuckle to share: A response from a Jewish drummer to Senator Orrin Hatch's song "8 Days Of Hanukkah". You are required to watch a lame commercial but temporarily turn the sound down and ride out the banality - it is worth it.

Enjoy! And read on for some good news.



I was delighted to find that "Precious: Based on the novel Push by Saphire," received two Golden Globe nominations. I called it a shoe-in and I was right (and I promise I didn't check the internet or ask anybody, it really was this obvious) and for Best Performance by and actress in a supporting role Mo'Nique was indeed nominated. Her Academy Award nomination should be in the bag at this point. But, the film was also nominated for Best Motion Picture - Drama and Gabourey Sidibe was one of five getting the nod for best actress in a drama. Horray!

Director Lee Daniels is among those being mentioned as a snub for not getting a director nomination. All this raises the film's profile to Joe Public considerably. I don't feel bad pointing out that I knew something when I said "If some studio wants a "Best Picture" nomination for 2010's Academy Awards ceremony, they will buy it up and promote it," in this blog post back in January.

Anyway, it is great to see an independent film that is all but impossible to market in television commercials getting awards love.

No comments:

Post a Comment